Tuesday 28 September 2010

Weekday Italian

Italy for me is confusing, complex, often underwhelming and incomprehensible (I will give examples why in my next post).  I am trying to understand, but I don't think mere mortals can handle it in the same way that France, the New world and maybe (he takes a deep breath) Spain or Germany are accessible.


As such, I don't know what I like, never know what is good and usually steer clear.  I am NOT saying Italy is bad, I just don't have the road map, and it would take a lifetime to learn by trial and error.  It took me five minutes and some research just to understand what the bottle was telling me,









Name              Suagna
Vintage            2004



Country           Italy
Region            Langhe, Bricco Rosso
Grape             Dolcetto and Nebbiolo
Maker             Manfredi
% Alc             13.5%
Price               £6.50
Source            The Wine Society


Straight into the glass, this had a nice nose, reminiscent of a chianti maybe. Cherries maybe, but pretty much an Italian red, some discernible oak, and nothing amazing. Could we say straight off it was an eye-tie? Yeah, pretty much.

Once in the mouth,light sweet fuit gave way rapidly to the harsh oakiness (still hanging around was pretty surprising after a good 6 years sat in its bottle (maybe 4, after ageing at the winery?)) Other than that, a pretty thin experience, and not much of note. Generally fitting with experieince of Italian reds. Classic nanna's pissy underpants ( I think that reference deserves an explanatory post all of its own.) Meh.

Maybe we need some education in the matter, but no evidence found that there is so much better out there. Maybe it's just not to our taste.

It was a different story, however, once sat next to home-made meatballs in tomato sauce, with good quality Italian pasta. This food took the harsh oaky edge away, brought the acid into play.
Classic case of the wine and the food doing so much for each other - the wine made you want to eat, the food made you want to drink (not that the Yorkshire lass's meatballs are that bad.)

Although piedmont is not really the natural home of this Bologna style meal (being a little further north, and conjouring ideas of preserved meats, sausages and mountain cheeses) they really really complemented each other. No chalk and cheese here; more like Morcombe and Wise in my eyes. Good stuff for a mid-week venture to the peninsula.

No comments:

Post a Comment